Jackalopes Return to Yellowstone Ecosystem

1778904004_f0f0d567e9_o

After a 93 year hiatus, the elusive Jackalope has returned to the greater Yellowstone ecosystem! These beautiful, yet frightening, creatures were once widely collected by tourists, but better management practices have allowed a re-introduced pack to thrive again. These guys have been sporadically spotted all around the west, including Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and New Mexico. Idaho allowed a “shoot on sight” policy for jackalopes, so they have not been seen there in quite a while.

Closely resembling a the jackrabbit, the jackalope is actually a member of the hare and the antelope family. With an average height of two feet, this a formidable predator in our ecosystem. They may even compete with our largest grizzlies and wolves for meals.

Heading to Yellowstone to look for Jackalope? Grab a pair of these binoculars from Amazon!

These wiley critters love the full moon, and that’s when you’re most likely to see them. You probably won’t get near one though, unless you can entice it with some whiskey. Jackalopes are among the most dangerous of the wildlife in our ecosystem. Locals will recommend you wear stovepipes on your legs in jackalope country, otherwise you may be gored by their razor-sharp antlers.

Yellowstone National Park regulations require visitors to stay at least 1,000 yards away from any jackalopes inside park boundaries. If you are lucky enough to spot one, you should alert a ranger as soon as possible.

“Jackalope Crossing” sign  – $15.99 on Amazon

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 12.29.34 PM

Jackalope Faux Taxidermy – $40.00 on Amazon

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 12.33.42 PM
Photo used with CC License – Mark Freeman on Flickr

Click here to read our recent stories!

40 Comments on "Jackalopes Return to Yellowstone Ecosystem"

1. please join Join Jack-A-Lopes unlimited to preserve these unique creatures from extinction or send a donation to me .

2. Jessie Ellen Rakes | June 23, 2016 at 2:05 pm | Reply

One brave person , caught in the wild west and brought it to Murrells Inlet SC. Had a taxidermist stuff it.. I believe it is still standing amongst, A Grizzle, Mountain goat, and other wildlife .. one may see it at T-Bonz steak house in Murrells Inlet, SC
    We like to take out of town relations to this spot and tell them how the roam around my home state MT.. So happy to read the Jackalopes have returned…

3. Jessie Ellen Rakes | June 23, 2016 at 2:07 pm | Reply

This is soo funny keep me up on all the ” Yellowstone Ecosystem “

4. Michael otto | June 23, 2016 at 2:57 pm | Reply

just goes to show you that if you look hard enough and long enough you never know what you’ll fine.

5. Glad to hear they have been reintroduced they have been gone for a long time

6. You guys know they aren’t real…right?

7. After a long day hunting elk in the fall nothing tastes better than grilled Jackalope!

8. I hope they’re careful. Jackalope hunting season starts June 31st. Good bless those majestic creatures.

9. Yes, VirGeoffia…there ARE Jackalope…

10. I understand that the wiley Jackalope is the favorite pet of the equally elusive Sasquatch.

11. I’m so glad the jackalope has returned to Yellowstone. I saw my first jackalope–albeit from a great distance–in 1952 when I was a child. This return gives me great faith in the resilience of mother nature, as well as faith in childhood.

12. I thought I shot a jackalope but turned out to be a snipe had it mounted.

13. Anyone who believes jackalopes ain’t real should take a look at the one mounted on my wall. Sorry can’t post a pic as he is very camera shy.

14. Lopus Magnum | June 24, 2016 at 9:02 am | Reply

Thou shalt not eat jackalopes!

15. K. Sluterbeck | June 24, 2016 at 10:03 am | Reply

Well done in the spirit of Milford Poltroon, who produced The Wretched Mess News — once based in West Yellowstone, Montana.

16. Beautiful animals, but don’t corner it. When startled or scared it will run and if those antlers catch your leg, you’re going to need stitches. They’re too dangerous to have them as pets. Follow the park’s regulations and stay as far back as possible.

17. I myself have one hanging on my hall wall at home. They are such cute little fellows. But you do have to watch out for he horns.

18. It was difficult to re-introduce the Jackalope to the Park. Although not afraid of Grizzlies, Wolves or Eagles, they will not share habitat with their mortal enemy, the Turducken.

19. Randy Causey | June 24, 2016 at 11:27 pm | Reply

I’ve seen a Jackalope and a Bassalope! They both in the same bar in Bossier City, LA!
    Stuffed and Mounted!

20. We were pleased to provide some Jackalopes to Yellowstone. Kept here in St George UT, they are docile when the temperature gets above 110°, so we were able to corral and ship a couple flaggerdoots (yes, that’s what you call a group of Jackalopes).

21. It isn’t mentioned, but the jackalope has been roaming western South Dakota for generations. An occasional tire is blown if one isn’t paying attention to roadkill on western SD roadways.

22. Good lord, why would anyone want eat one…they are tough, stringy (think eating wild pork with dental floss threaded through it), and Taste like old shoes dipped in sulphur and cow dung!

23. them seem to be atrakted to whisky – but I aint never ben blessed enuff to kill one

24. i’ll have to find my jackolantern so i can pick them up in the dark…

25. Scott Sanders | June 25, 2016 at 11:54 am | Reply

Majestic and wonderful animals. I was lucky enough to see one while skiing at Mary Jane in the late 70’s. it scared me and I suppose I scared it. The little creature ran off into the woods and I never saw another one since. I hope with the reintroduction I will get a chance again!!

26. They’re mythical creatures the post here is fake lol.
    Quit acting like they exist.

Clearly a satire.

27. President Obama saw one when he was visiting Yellowstone. He blames climate change for their return. They usually are further Noth.

28. All the fans of ” Monty Python ” will recognise this dangerous creature as the infamous “Killer Rabbit ” who beheaded a brave knight and caused all the other knights to runaway and keep running…

29. Although thought by many to be nonexistent and merely a myth actual physical proof has been found in many states. As a child I can remember seeing one of these hanging on my Uncle’s big game wall. As there was a bounty put on them in most states for over 100 years they were nearly eradicated forever. Obviously a colony has been found and now they will be put on the Endangered Species list. Their near extinction is thought to be the reason the Big Foot colonies are also in decline as the Jackalopes were herded by them for food. Much like the American Indian dependence on the buffalo. I would like to commend Yellowstone Park for bringing back this valuable species.

30. Jackalopes are closely related to the wild haggis, found mainly in Scotland, and prized not only for its tasty flesh but for its skin, used to make the best quality sporrans.

31. For those who dig deep in historicaldocuments, it is well known that two Jackalopes were caught in the wilderness and brought on to Titanic 1912 for deportation. The first hole on the ship was not made by an iceberg, but was made by the two Jackalopes trying to mate within a small cage. This was covered up by the government due to the illegal action of deporting any Jackalope, still alive.

32. We used to have them all over Texas when I was a kid but the Cupacabras ate’em all up.

33. You can often hear them singing (known as ‘yodeling’ ) during mating season

34. Carol Lea Bushnell | June 27, 2016 at 1:45 am | Reply

It’s about time these elusive creatures made a comeback. All I’ve ever seen are taxidermy specimens. There seem to be a great variety in this species

35. Actually The Donald combed his hair and the found a whole flaggerdoot of them.

36. As soon as I saw this, I booked a trip to Yellowstone. I always thought their existence was a myth. Can’t wait to see one.

37. Mark Pederson | June 28, 2016 at 11:08 am | Reply

Back in the Tennessee hill country there were always a couple hanging out behind grandpa’s still.

38. Stephan Sonn | June 28, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Reply

Under no conditions should these animals be taken for pets. Once fashionable in Manhattan and Boston among the elite, these creatures are quite flatulent and very destructive indoors. Poodles have been known to disappear without a trace.

39. Its diet consists primarily of cantaloupe.

40. My son is 22 up until 19 or so he believed the head mount Jack in my office was real. I don’t think he’ll ever trust me again.